The University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship is offered for African Students Studying English. The University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship is offered to international students who are citizens of African countries, who are admitted in the Fall 2022 term (September start date) or later with an admission average of 80% or higher, who are studying in English, and who enroll in one of the stated undergraduate programs in the faculties of Engineering, Science, or Social Sciences.
This important financial contribution to scholar education reduces their tuition fees by $17,500 to $25,000 for the excellence scholarships and by $12,000 to $20,000 for the University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship, depending on the program every year.
All students who are qualified for the University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship will automatically receive it upon enrolment. It will also be applied directly to their tuition fees. The entrance and excellence scholarship will provide incoming scholars with a four-year scholarship to cover the partial cost of their university tuition.
The University of Ottawa is a multilingual public research university in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Its main campus is located on 42.5 hectares (105 acres) in the heart of Ottawa’s Downtown Core, adjacent to the residential neighborhood of Sandy Hill, adjacent to Ottawa’s Rideau Canal.
The university was first founded as the College of Bytown in 1848 by the first bishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Ottawa, Joseph-Bruno Guigues. However, placed under the direction of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, it was renamed the College of Ottawa in 1861 and received university status five years later through a royal charter.
On 5 February 1889, the University of Ottawa was granted a superior charter by Pope Leo XIII, raising the institution to a pontifical university. On July 1, 1965, the university was reorganized as a corporation, independent from any outside body or religious organization. As a result, the civil and pontifical charters were kept by the newly formed Saint Paul University, federated with the university. While the remaining civil faculties were retained by the reorganized university.
In addition, the University of Ottawa is the largest English-French bilingual university in the world. The university offers a broad variety of academic programs, administered by ten faculties which include the University of Ottawa Faculty of Medicine, the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law, the Telfer School of Management, and the University of Ottawa Faculty of Social Sciences.
The university is co-educational and enrolls more than 35,000 undergraduate and more than 6,000 post-graduate students. The school has approximately 7,000 international students from 150 countries, accounting for 17 percent of the student population.
The University of Ottawa was established on 26 September 1848 as the College of Bytown by the first Roman Catholic bishop of Ottawa, Joseph-Bruno Guigues. He assigned administration to the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The college was mainly located in Lower Town, housed in a wooden building next to the Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica. However, space quickly became an issue for administrators, triggering two moves in 1852 and a final move to Sandy Hill in 1856.
Worth of University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship for African Students
The University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship will provide incoming students with a four-year scholarship to cover the partial cost of their university tuition.
Eligibility for University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship for African Students
- All qualified students are considered for this award and will be notified at the time of their admission. Note that no application is required for the University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship as applicants will be asked to submit proof of citizenship of a country or territory in Africa before receiving their first installments.
- To be qualified for the scholarship, you must be an international student with a valid study permit.
- You must have citizenship from one of the countries in Africa.
- Applicants for the University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship must be newly admitted in Engineering: Civil Engineering; Chemical Engineering, Social sciences: Sociology; Anthropology; International Development and Globalization; Conflict Studies; Public Administration, Sciences: All programs except the Honors BSc in Biochemistry / BASc in Chemical Engineering; Honors BSc in Physics/BASc in Electrical Engineering; and Honors BSc in Ophthalmic Medical Technology.
- To be qualified for the University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship, you must be enrolled full-time; and for the Entrance scholarship, you must have an admission average of 89.99% or lower once converted in our grading scale. While for the Excellence scholarship, you must have an admission average of a minimum of 90% once converted in our grading
How to Apply for University of Ottawa Entrance Scholarship for African Students
The Application Deadline for the scholarship is March 31, 2022.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other Canada scholarships here